Friday, June 22, 2012

Washington, North Carolina ~ Nashville, Tennessee


Route: OCW ~ SIF ~ MWK ~ MKJ ~ I39 ~ JWN



I've tried to re-edit this page to add a few photos and I have to admit this blog site is the worst experience I have ever had trying to organize photo's and text!  I will never use this site again!  Anyway the caption for the above should have been "Turning left downwind for three-one Shilo".


On final for SIF in North Carolina


Shiloh Airport Rockingham County, North Carolina (SIF)


We left Warren Field in Washington North Carolina early and our first stop was Shiloh Airport, just 140 nautical miles away.  It took us 1.8 hours to get there and what a nice airport it was.  Katie split up an orange for our snack while we rested up and checked out the amenities!  

Katie is such a Great Companion when we fly!

Shilo Airport Lounge - what a Great little Airport!
We left Shilo and our next stop would have been Mountain Empire (MKJ) in Virginia, but the widget on my I-Phone was showing high winds so our flight was only thirty minutes and we landed at Mount Airy (MWK) to sync in with our I-Pad to get the latest scoop on the WX!  It turned out that the wind report on my phone was really old and Mountain Empire was fine.  If I had known that Mount Airy was the model for Mayberry we might have stayed longer, but off we went for Mountain Empire!  This airport had some of the best service of the whole trip!  On the way out I had not secured one of the fuel caps properly and when we landed at Mountain Empire the Airport Manager informed me of the fact that the right tank had no cap!  He shortly arranged a "Loaner" fuel cap and we were on our way!  So on the way back we stopped to thank him and continue on to Madison in Kentucky (the temporary new home of the errant fuel cap!) We later mailed back the loaner cap and sent along two t-shirts from the Airway Cafe in Porterville "Where you can always land a good meal!"  Another Citabria landed at Mountain Empire and the pilot took this picture of Katie and me in front of N30WH.


At Mountain Empire Airport in Virginia.  (KMKJ)


John Tune Airport, Nashville, TN
One long day today with diversions, changes in airports, and dodging WX. Left Washington, NC after turning in the car, and kept to 4500', mostly. Made a major diversion and a stop based on what was showing on NEXRAD and other sources. A short stop at Mt Airy sorted it all out and with a modified plan we took off once again. Dropped Bowling Green and headed to Nashville, TN (KJWN) to have dinner with Art Pforr and his wife Martha, and his daughter Jennie & son-in-law Brett. Always great to meet up with old friends. Katie scored when I took her downtown to get her Hard Rock T-Shirt, and she saw fireworks!

No comments:

Post a Comment